Quote of the day :
In nature, nothing is perfect and everything is perfect. Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways, and they’re still beautiful.
Author Alice Walker, born this day.
Picture of the day :
Performers in praying mantis costumes
Youtube video of the day :
One of those rare quiet days in history. I’ve chosen ‘You’ve Got A Friend’ by Carole King. It was that or Carmen Miranda singing ‘I’m just wild about Harry!’
Born on this day…
Born today :
- Fantasy and Sci-Fi artist ans illustrator, Frank Frazetta
- Author and feminist, Alice Walker
She received the Pulitzer prize for Fiction in 1983 for her critically acclaimed novel ‘The Color Purple’
- Author and playwright, Anthony Hope
Best known for his novel ‘The Prisoner of Zenda’
- Actor, Joe Pesci
- Actor, Charles Shaughnessy
- Actor, Ronald Colman
- Actor, Ciarán Hinds
- Actor, Tom Hiddleston
- Actress, Mia Farrow
- Actress, Heather Angel
- Singer and musician, Holly Johnson
- Singer and songwriter, Carole King
- Actress and singer, Carmen Miranda
- US president, William Henry Harrison
- Disney animator, Bill Justice
- Programmer, David Wheeler
Introduced the concept of the subroutine to computer programming in 1951, earning him the IEEE Computer Society Pioneer Award for his Wheeler jump technique in Assembly.
- Biochemist, Jacques Monod
Jacques Monod, François Jacob and André Lwoff received the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1965 for their discoveries on genetic control of enzyme and virus synthesis.
Also on this day in history
1895 : William G Morgan invented volleyball, though he originally called it Mintonette.
1900 : Harvard student Dwight Davis design the silver trophy after he and three friends beat a British team at of at tennis.
1964 : The Beatles made their first television appearance in the US on The Ed Sullivan Show. It was watched by more than 73 million Americans.
1969 : The first test flight of the Boeing 747.