Quote of the day :
In nature, nothing is perfect and everything is perfect. Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways, and they’re still beautiful.
Author Alice Walker, born this day.
Picture of the day :
Performers in praying mantis costumes
Youtube video of the day :
One of those rare quiet days in history. I’ve chosen ‘You’ve Got A Friend’ by Carole King. It was that or Carmen Miranda singing ‘I’m just wild about Harry!’
Born on this day…
Born today :
- Fantasy and Sci-Fi artist ans illustrator, Frank Frazetta
- Author and feminist, Alice Walker
She received the Pulitzer prize for Fiction in 1983 for her critically acclaimed novel ‘The Color Purple’
- Author and playwright, Anthony Hope
Best known for his novel ‘The Prisoner of Zenda’
- Actor, Joe Pesci
- Actor, Charles Shaughnessy
- Actor, Ronald Colman
- Actor, CiarÃ¡n Hinds
- Actor, Tom Hiddleston
- Actress, Mia Farrow
- Actress, Heather Angel
- Singer and musician, Holly Johnson
- Singer and songwriter, Carole King
- Actress and singer, Carmen Miranda
- US president, William Henry Harrison
- Disney animator, Bill Justice
- Programmer, David Wheeler
Introduced the concept of the subroutine to computer programming in 1951, earning him the IEEE Computer Society Pioneer Award for his Wheeler jump technique in Assembly.
- Biochemist, Jacques Monod
Jacques Monod, FranÃ§ois Jacob and AndrÃ© Lwoff received the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1965 for their discoveries on genetic control of enzyme and virus synthesis.
Also on this day in history
1895 : William G Morgan invented volleyball, though he originally called it Mintonette.
1900 : Harvard student Dwight Davis design the silver trophy after he and three friends beat a British team at of at tennis.
1964 : The Beatles made their first television appearance in the US on The Ed Sullivan Show. It was watched by more than 73 million Americans.
1969 : The first test flight of the Boeing 747.