Quote of the day :
I’m continually trying to make choices that put me against my own comfort zone. As long as you’re uncomfortable, it means you’re growing.
~ Ashton Kutcher, born today
Picture of the day :
I was going to put in a picture of a flooded road, given the continuing rotten weather, but instead I’ve chosen a brighter image – blackberries.
Youtube video of the day :
Alan Lancaster’s birthday today so I’ve chosen ‘Is there a better way’ from Status Quo’s Blue For You album.
Born on this day…
Born today :
- Author, Charles Dickens (b.1812)
- Author, Steven Gould
- Author, Laura Ingalls Wilder
Wrote ‘Little House on the Prairie’
- Lexicographer, James Augustus Henry Murray (b.1837)
Created the Oxford Dictionary
- Actor, Pete Postlethwaite
- Actor, Gareth Hunt
- Actor, Ashton Kutcher
- Actor, Miguel Ferrer
- Actor and comic, Eddie Izzard
- Actor and comic, Chris Rock
- Actor, James Spader
- Actor and Olympic swimmer, Buster Crabbe
- Actress, Hattie Jacques
- Computer engineer, Dr An Wang
- Pianist and composer, Eubie Blake
He wrote over a thousand songs, including ‘I’m just wild about Harry’
- Singer, Garth Brooks
- Singer and songwriter, Earl king
- Musician, Alan Lancaster
- Psychoanalyst, Alfred Adler
- Blacksmith and inventor, John Deere (b.1804)
- Lord Chancellor, Sir Thomas Moore (b.1478)
‘A man for all seasons.’
Also on this day in history
1800 : 23-year-old general Napoleon Bonaparte was official declared First Consul of France.
1886 : While building a cottage for a prospector in the Transvaal, South Africa, George Walker found a clear streak of gold which turned out to be the richest known gold seam in the world.
1891 : The Great Blizzard of 1891 began in England
1940 : Premiere of Pinocchio, Walt Disney’s second full length animated film.
1964 : The Beatles arrived in the United States for the first time. Thousands of fans massed at JFK airport to meet them.
1971 : Switzerland finally allowed women to vote!
1974 : Grenada gained independence from Britain
1992 : The Maastricht Treaty was signed by 12 members of the European Community, leading to the creation of the EU. The treaty just scraped through British parliament, coming into force in 1993 – and we’ve been paying for it ever since!
Trending at this moment:
2014 : Not a great deal, really!