Daily Post : 6th December
Quote of the day :
Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do.
~ Nelson Mandela
Pic of the day :
I rather like the one below, Harry Potter’s friend, Dobby the House-Elf, last seen in a toy shop in Blackpool :
Tube of the day :
As it’s Will Hay’s birthday today, he’s a short clip from one of his classic films : Ghost of St Michaels
Full episodes of others can be found, or bought on Amazon. Probably get removed one day, but I found ‘Boys Will Be Boys’ from 1935 for you
On this day…
Born today :
- Actor, William Thomson “Will” Hay
- Artist and filmmaker, Nick Park (of Wallace and Gromit fame)
- Songwriter/lyricist, Ira Gershwin
- Stage magician, Robert Houdin
- Occultist and author, Dion Fortune
- Actress, Agnes Moorehead (Endora in the original Bewitched)
- Actor, director and screenwriter, Noel Clarke (Mickey Smith in Dr Who)
- Composer, Johann Christoph Bach (1642)
- Photo-journalist, Alfred Eisenstaedt
- (Marvel) comic artist, Frank Springer
- Actress, JoBeth Williams
- Programmer, Craig Newmark (of Craigslist)
- Rock guitarist, Randy Rhoads
- Actress, Janine Turner
- Record producer and songwriter, Hugo Peretti
- Presenter, pop mogul (etc), Jonathon King
- Drummer, Rick Buckler (The Jam)
- Guitarist, Peter Buck (R.E.M.)
- King of England, Henry VI
Also on this day in history
The first edition of the Encylopedia Britannica was published, in Edinburgh, 1768.
It was discontinued on March 13th, 2012. At the time of writing, there are just 4 (of only 10 made) copies of the final, leather-bound editions left. If I was say, Rick Castle, I’d snap one up, but at £9,999 each, it’s out of my league, and, at 32 volumes, out of the range of bookshelf I have left, though I’d make space if they wanted to give me a copy! Happily, it’s not completely gone, you can still read it online, albeit it at £6.99 a month / £49.95 a year for access. Though probably less in-depth, you can also get the DVD on Amazon for about 20 quid : Encyclopaedia Britannica Ultimate 2013
Also in publishing, 1877 saw the first edition of the Washington Post hit the streets.
I wonder if they carried a story about Thomas Edison, who made the world’s first sound recording on the same date.
Today is the feast day of Nicholas, aka Santa Claus
Trending at this moment:
Trending worldwide at the moment is the death last night of Nelson Mandela, aged 95. Strangely enough, it was 6th December (1957) when he and 156 others were arrested in South Africa for political activities.